Monday, January 31, 2011

SAG Awards Red Carpet wrap-up


The red carpet at the SAG awards was filled with a lot of misses and very few hits. Being the middle child of the award shows after the Golden Globes and just before the Oscars, the SAG awards seem to confuse a lot of actors - and the stylists who dress them - tremendously.



The trend of the night for the men, was black on black with LL Cool-J, Mathew Morrison and Christian Bale leading the pack.

Mathew Morrison also shared something which I find odd. If you desire a more relaxed and comfortable look and choose to opt out of the tie option, then I suggest you follow through with your idea and wear a black suit and not a tuxedo. A tuxedo with an open collar shirt gives the impression that your look is unfinished. I am sure Mr. Morrison did not forget his necktie or bow tie at home, however it looks as if he did. I wonder if perhaps that is the look he was going for. I do have to admit that Mathew Morrison looked great even with his fashion faux-pas.
I would also like to point out that my pet-peeve was quite the trend as well. I will call it the oops-I-forgot-to-pull-my-tie-all-the-way-up-to-the-top-of-my-collar trend therefore, I will expose the button on my collar.
The other eyesore we enjoyed on the SAG red carpet was the loose tie-knot with the unbuttoned collar. With a tuxedo? Seriously? Seriously?
The list was endless in this category Jesse Eisenberg, Josh Hutcherson from The "Kids Are Alright"- who otherwise was very well tailored -, James Franco and the most tragic of all Chris Colfer to name a few.
But the top honors for the
what-were-you-thinking-did-you-look-at-yourself-in-the-mirror-before-you-left-the-house goes to, Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Jesse, I would like to say to you that I am available to assist you with all your styling needs since I know that you will be firing your current stylist after you view these photos.
Now for some good news.
There were some beatifully tailored and groomed gentlemen as well like, the always well dressed Jon Hamm, Dennis Haysbert, Steve Carell, John Krasinsky - stunning in navy on navy Prada -, Josh Duhamel and the best dressed man of the evening Colin Firth
It is worth taking a moment to mention Justin Timberlake who looked hip and true to his personality and was almost my favorite guy of the night. The problem for me was that my eye kept going to those two white lines across his tie and kept me from taking in the entire look. I wonder if the tie was completely striped or if instead of stripes he would have opted for a tie pin, if that would of made more sense and bring in some cohesiveness to the outfit?
It's easy to fall in love with individual pieces, the challenge is putting it all together in a way that makes sense as one outfit. This is where the expert eye is needed. It is at this time when a stylist can come in and make it work by having the overall picture in mind and knowing how to bring it to life.
But all was not lost at the SAG awards red carpet after all. Men's fashion has a future in Hollywood because Nolan Gould - from the hit ABC show "Modern Family" - has shown us that he is quite the fashionista and great personal style will live on!

Congratulations Nolan and thank you for keeping men's fashion alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment