Monday, January 24, 2011

On-line shopping


With the Internet as the all-encompassing way of life, we don't need to leave our homes for almost anything anymore; including shopping. However shopping for clothing is a tactile experience and should not be done via the Internet.
We live in an age where we can find anything in the Internet, even love - and I use the term loosely - without ever leaving our home. With Match.com or E-Harmony.com the search for the perfect mate has become very convenient. Think of it as a casting process of sorts. The only people you will meet are the ones that will pass the preliminary rounds of photos, videos, video chats, etc.
You can book your travel and find a vacation home on-line. You can shop for groceries on-line. You can do almost anything on-line these days - and I do - however, I draw the line at clothing and shoe shopping.
Shopping for shoes or clothing is an in-person, tactile experience.
How does it feel on your skin? 
Is this the right color for my complexion? 
Is this wool too thick or not thick enough?
Is it the proper length?
How does it fit?
But most importantly, how do I feel with it on? 
I can never experience that on-line. Yes there are perceived benefits to on-line shopping at sites like Gilt Group or Dino Direct. You will save time, you can shop anytime of day or night and you can save money. But do you really save time and money? 
Play along with me for a minute.
You found that perfect cotton navy Marc Jacobs shirt at Gilt Group for $195 from its original $325 store price and they have it in your size. Great! This is exactly the shirt you need to complete your outfit for that date -  Match.com is your new cupid - you are going to in a week. If you buy it now - 2:30 in the afternoon as you are shopping from your desk when you should be working - you will receive free shipping. 
OMG! How can you not buy this right now? It is a no-brainer! But is it?
A couple of days later the garment arrives. You realize, that beautiful navy you saw on your 17" laptop screen, is really a very odd and muted dark blue. The size Large you ordered barely fits and this cotton is so thick, there's no way you can wear it until next Fall at which point t will be out of style. So now what? OK no problem, you can send it back and start all over again.
So! Did you really save time and or money? Let's see.
You now have to take the time to re-package and mail back the garment. Wait for your Credit Card to be reimbursed. Hope that there are no hidden fees, oh and yes, your date is tomorrow and you still don't have that perfect navy shirt.
I wish that I was just making this up but unfortunately this happens all the time. This is a true story from a guy who walked in to my store in a panic some time ago. Luckily for him, he found me and I was able to put him in the perfect shirt. I was also able to give him pointers on his overall look and improve it by helping him find the perfect fit for his body. Making him look his best and improving his chances at love with his Match.com date.
I love the Internet - hellooooooooooo I have my own blog - I shop for books and music at Amazon.com all the time and I still book my reservations on-line as well. But when it comes to shopping, I like to keep it old school. Shopping is an experience that should be enjoyed and not rushed. Get out of your house and go shopping in person you will save time and money in the long run and you will definitely look better on your date!

8 comments:

  1. I agree, Clothing is way to personal to shop online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Also you always want to get the added benefit of an expert opinion and you can never get that on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of online shopping....Can you please tell if it's crazy that I love these? THANKS.

    http://www.bonadrag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=47

    They also have low tops....here...http://www.bonadrag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48

    I realize that your interest is primarily MALE fashion...but...I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah
    I can totally see you rocking these. Also I think you may want to check out Zara or H&M and they might have these or something very similar for an even better price AND you can try them on!
    I feel the high tops better than the low tops, especially with a pair of really skinny jeans and an oversize Tee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about it Sofia!
    It will definitely be most beneficial to shop in person!

    ReplyDelete