Friday, August 17, 2012

The Electrifying Energy of NY City

What is it about NY city that is so stimulating and vibrant?
I guess the obvious answer would be; its electrifying energy.
Yes of course it is, but what creates that energy?
I can not think of another place I have visited in my lifetime - and I have traveled my fair share - that includes in its demographic a more diverse group of ethnicity and nationalities. Segregation is completely absent in NYC. Is as if NYC is color blind.
At any given moment - in a cab, riding the subway, buying the newspaper, attending the theater, walking in Central Park, sweating at Equinox, eating at a restaurant anywhere in the city, on the Starbucks line, etc - you are surrounded by at least three to four different age, ethnicity and socioeconomic demographics. All converging at the same place at the same time for a common goal. Everyone gets along and if they don't....well, then they are quick to express it and move on. And when I say "not get along" I'm not talking about any sort of prejudice; I am referring to somebody budding in line, or getting shoved due to overcrowding, or a taxi driver driving too slow along the busy city streets - this perhaps the worst crime of all. Every day people having every day experiences.
Rich, poor, young or old, everyone in NYC gets to do the same thing. No one is spared because of any social distinction. To get from point A to point B in the city you must either, have your chauffeur drive you, take a taxi, ride the subway, take a bus, ride a bike or walk, but everyone gets to experience the city in one way or another. Is as if there are no special privileges for the residents of NYC. Yes if you are part of the more affluent crowd, you may have a doorman in your building that opens the door for you and is ready with an umbrella to protect you from the rain, but everyone gets to step in the puddle and walk on their own two feet at some point.
There's also a real sense of honesty about the way New Yorkers interact with one another which makes for a genuine experience no matter where you are in the city. What you see is what you get.
After many years in NYC I have relocated to Los Angeles - a decision I am very happy with and my love for LA grows every day. Upon my arrival in LA I remember being astonished about two very obvious issues.
First of all, after being in LA for a week, I asked my then roommate Tim;
Where are the black people?
I could have included any ethnicity to that question since all I kept seeing everywhere I went were white people. In order to find any diversity I had to go outside of LA. It was extremely segregated and divisive. Unfortunately everyone had their own designated community and the various lifestyles were not meant to be mixed. This was very shocking to me.
Second of all, I was floored by the fact that everyone would smile and wish me a nice day or ask how my day was. Who were these freaks? And why did they care about my well being? I soon realized that it was - and is - just a way of exercising politeness but to a New Yorker like myself it took months to get to that place of acceptance.
So I guess what creates that electrifying energy that is NY city is its people.
This hotchpotch of ethnicity and walks of life all coming together for a common purpose; to thrive in the city that never sleeps. 
So is NY city the prototype for the perfect world? A world where everyone is welcomed, differences are respected and honest expressions of self abound without the fear of being ostracised ? Hmmm, something to think about!
I visit NY city a couple of times a year for many reasons but the main reason is its electrifying energy. When I am in NY city is as if I am getting a lifeblood transfusion. Energy, inspiration, drive and confidence rush through my veins when I'm here and so I take that with me wherever I go.
Perhaps in my heart, I will always be a New Yorker.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an amazing giveaway!! Thanks so much
    to get Online pharmacy from Dose Pharmacy

    ReplyDelete