Friday, April 1, 2011

Tom Ford plays Oprah!


When it comes to fashion choices the last and only word should be yours. Wear whatever you want to wear, regardless of anybody's opinion.
During the last week I had a couple of people ask for my reaction to Tom Ford's latest declarations. In a recent interview for the Daily Mail of London Tom Ford  had this to say:
"Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach."
In the article he talks about being a gentleman and how he prides himself on being one. He also gives tips on how to be a "modern gentleman". He goes on to share his thoughts on men who don't work, people who judge and opening doors for women.
What I observe happening to Tom Ford - and therefore share it with you - is the Oprah-like experience.
Oprah-like - Anytime, anyone, anywhere claims that whatever they believe; is the only truth and they feel the need to impose that on others.
We live in a world where people like to be lead. We watch reality TV, we read tabloid magazines, we follow trends in fashion,  etc. There seems to be a real lack of responsibility - or laziness - when it comes to being autonomous and exercising our individuality. That is all fine and good. For there to be followers there must be leaders. My only issue is when absolutes are presented. Like for instance, Tom Ford's latest remark:
"Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach."
I respect that this can be true for Tom Ford himself but I don't agree that it applies to every man in every city.
I can see how Tom Ford can feel that Flip-flop sandals should only be worn at the tennis court or at the beach, however in cities like Miami, Los Angeles, Santa Fe, and others where temperatures can reach the 100 degrees mark, it is absolutely OK to wear a pair of Flip-flops when going out to run errands or even to a friends house as long is a casual affair.

When it comes to shorts I disagree with Tom Ford completely. As a matter of fact one of Tom Ford's designer colleagues Thom Browne has created a fashion empire and is best known for designing and wearing suits with shorts himself. I can see how this is not a look for everyone, however the option is there and it is absolutely acceptable to wear shorts in the city.
In the article Tom Ford also comments on the importance of the image we present to the world since it will influence how others react to us. Once again this is a personal matter. How we want to be perceived is entirely up to us. 





A couple of philosophies I live by are:
To thine own self be true - and - the mirror is your friend.
Three rules for dressing I live by:
1. Know your body, 
2. Dress age appropriate, 
3. Make sure what you are wearing is suitable with the occasion you are attending.
These are the philosophies and rules for dressing that work for me. I share them with you in case you can use them too. If they are suitable to you, by all means incorporate them in your life and have fun. By the same token if you disagree with me and your way is working for you, I support you completely and respect your gravitas.
If you follow me on Facebook where I share my Fashion Tips of the Day you know there are fashion issues I feel very strongly about, like pleated pants, excess fabric on garments and acid wash denim - to name a few. At times it could easily be said of me that I too have been Oprah-like. However it is just my opinion and my experience. Ultimately it is up to you to wear what you want to wear and feel the way you want to feel. You are responsible for your own look every single day of your life, so do with that what you like. 
I will stick to my three rules of dressing and go on about my day.






1 comment: