Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscars Best Dressed Men 2011

Of all the awards shows this year, it was the Oscars that truly got the stars - and their stylists - to pay attention and step up their fashion game.
However............Oscar awards and red carpet fashions were upstaged in the media the very next morning by Charlie Sheen's drug addiction rantings.

Yes it is true, we have arrive at a time in life where reality TV has taken over the magic of make believe. Charlie Sheen and his drug induced - allegedly -  TV interviews have upstaged the Oscars. GMA, the Today Show and the Morning Show have all given the Oscars relatively minimal coverage and Charlie Sheen has taken control of the airwaves with his insane rantings about his life.
Unbelievable! And at the end of the day, who cares?
Well; millions of people are watching so they must. And I do cause I'm watching it too. I'm watching because it is comical and because I really don't feel any empathy for Sheen at this point.
I too had my romance with drugs and alcohol and know what is like to feel that way. I know what is like to feel like you got all the answers and you are better than everyone. I know what is like to feel you are special and no one understands you.
I also know that nothing can happen until he is absolutely done. Right now drugs and alcohol are still working and Sheen is still getting off on them, so why stop?
Once Sheen reaches that place where no matter how much drugs he takes or how much alcohol he drinks, he is unable to feel that exhilarating high again, then there will be a profound and undeniable shift. The drugs stop working and he's out of plans and ideas.  Then he'll be ready to get help. Good news is, eventually he will get there. Not so good news...........a lot of people die before they do.
So if I can relate, why am I not empathetic?
I guess I was angry about two paragraphs ago and what I really am feeling now is pity.
I pity Charlie Sheen. I'm sorry he's not done. I'm sorry he may never be done. I'm sorry he may die.
I'm most sorry and truly feel badly for his family and all the lives he's touched that are affected by his actions.  His children - especially the older ones - his parents and siblings, some of which are celebrities themselves and have to suffer the humiliation in the public eye.
Perhaps I'm following Sheen's spiral into the abyss so closely because I have not seen the affects of addiction in the body and the mind up-close, for over 16 years and it feels a little bit like a trip down memory lane. Perhaps I'm angry that this has to happen to anyone. Perhaps I'm saddened that there isn't anything anyone can do for Sheen right now. Or perhaps - like GMA, the Today Show and the Morning Show - I am more interested and seduced by real life high drama than art or fashion. 
In any case, having said all that, I feel better now so I am ready to return to my original topic:

Oscar's red carpet fashion for men.

Nostalgia was a big trend at the red carpet this year for men. We saw a big return to the bow tie and the wide lapel and even a couple of white dinner jackets. 
I will start off with the best dressed couple of the evening, Armie Hammer and his wife Elizabeth Chambers. Not only are these too styled impeccably, they seem so happy and comfortable it is beautiful to watch. Totally effortless!




















Here we can see how both Jake Gyllenhal and Jeremy Renner opted for the more traditional bow tie. Jake Gyllenhall prefers a very current high double breasted tuxedo while Jeremy Renner goes for the more conservative shawl collar and both create a retro look that is timeless and elegant.


I will not take time to talk about the men who should fire their stylist after Oscar night, I will simply share this photo with you and allow you to compare for yourselves instead. 
You tell me who got it right and who missed the mark between Robert Downry Jr. and Jude Law.
 

And once again the best dressed man of the night and the best dressed man for all of this year's award shows is Colin Firth. Always well groomed, exceptionally tailored and elegantly formal as the perfect gentleman should be for any black tie affair. Once again Tom Ford dresses Colin Firth and it is a match made in fashion heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment